Tuesday, July 26, 2005

On Being 31

The first 10 years of my life, I wither away my time questioning the world around me, wondering who I am or what I’m going to be, and dreaming what I could be. I spent the next 10 years learning. Learning how to read the treasures of the world. Learning to write what I think, what I feel and count the stars that illuminates my dreams at night. I however, still dream and I still wonder. By the third decade of my life, I wander around to discover the world around me. Learning what still needed to be learned. And I still dream but only by this time, I no longer wonder because my dream has finally taken shape. The road was clear to me now although I still can’t see what lies beyond the distance. At 20, I dream that someday I would be able to enter the sacred hall of great men and women. Perhaps trembling as I walked to that hollowed stage in the center of that great hall surrounded by those illustrious forbearers and submitting myself to their judgment and scrutiny. They would review my victories and my success while studying my faults, my mistakes, and my defeats in great detail. They would question my character and overly criticized my short – comings. They would then weighed whether or not my efforts have serve to improve the lots of Man and bring him closer to his destiny or have I irreparably retarded his progress towards his full potential. And at the end of the day, I would be saluted and applauded by these great audience for a life well lived and they would deemed me worthy to be admitted to their ranks and acknowledge me as their peer and asked me to take my rightful place amongst them in the annals of mankind. That is my dream however improbable but I never thought it impossible. Nevertheless, it is a dream that I must realize and one that I must prepare for. It is for this reason that I need to learn the crafts and skills not only to survive in this world but also to realize my dream. And this is how I spend the third decade of my life. Now I’m entering the fourth decade of my existence and I’m taking my first step towards a journey in realizing my dream so that by the fifth decade, my dream would have a solid foundation and would begin to materialize. And by my sixth decade, my dream would be a reality and the world will look like the picture that I have framed in my mind when I was young. And by my seventh decade, I would be a model for the next generation to emulate and four score years after my birth, I hope to become an example of a worthy life for posterity. And then and only then, I would close my eyes and vanished into nothingness……… Today, I turn 31 and as I looked forward, I see the path of my journey will be wrought with trials and challenges but I can overcome them and I must overcome them. And in the course of my journey, I may waver and I may question my decision as to the path I have taken but I will hold my ground for I need to. Today, I celebrate my journey for the past 31 years and I toast to long road ahead to my dream. Cheers to life and to dreams.

No comments: