Sunday, June 26, 2005

My (mini) Library, Part 3

If the books a person read could tell what kind of a person he or she is, then I’m an obsessive – compulsive book buyer who never manages to read the books that I’ve bought. I can’t help it. Just a few Sundays ago, I again bought 2 books, bargain books. “Man or Superman” by George Bernard Shaw and “Consumer Behavior”. I paid 400 pesos for the two books. Nice bargain for books that used to cost thousands. However, I had to slug it out with desperate moms and frenzied teenagers, who are buying books and supplies for school the following Monday. Sometimes, I wonder myself why I buy books and go great lengths in buying books. It is perhaps due to my desire to improve on myself. I know my shortcomings and I know what I lack and I make it up with reading to gain insights and discover techniques to become “better”. Well, that’s for most of my books. Some of my books are purely for my entertainment. Exciting my imagination. Still, other books are there mainly to uplift the level of my intellect and understanding as well as satisfy my curiosity. Business books belong to the self – improvement categories. Let me see aside from general management and marketing books, I also have finance books. These include among others the standard finance textbooks that I used in business school, Foundation of Financial Management, Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, Financial Management in Philippine Setting, and Bond Markets, Analysis and Strategies written by Fabozzi, the so – called “Bible” of bonds trading. I bought the latter because I took a course on bonds trading out of “greed”. I’m always fascinated by easy money were made in the financial markets but it is actually harder than I thought. In relation to that, I’ve bought a book on understanding financial news. I also happen to own two books on Philippine commercial banking. I guess I wanted to own a bank someday, which is why I bought it in the first place. Unfortunately, I haven’t read it. Probably, I would if I’m actually running a bank. I also have business law books in my collection. Labor laws, tax laws and contract laws, I could hardly understand those but they are quite handy when it comes to facing tax and labor cases. Most of the newest books I’d accumulate are the operations management books. Let me see I recently bought two quality management books, the Harvard business book, Managing Value Chain, Transforming the Supply Chain, which is a supply chain management book, the book Mass Customization, a revolutionary manufacturing process that I encountered years ago in business school. The gist of the book is how to employ cost effective mass production techniques in producing one unique product. It was an amazing concept but I haven’t read the details of going about it. There is also Logistic and Retail Management, which talks about leveraging logistics solutions in managing inventories of a retail organization. Last I heard, it was the secret to Wal – Mart’s success. Another book, The Call Center Handbook, a step to step guide to setting – up and operating a call center. Similar to this are the books on restaurant management, tourism management, and designing and maintaining a web site. My older books in this collection included a book on warehousing, product designing, and the standard operation management textbooks. It is not only books that I kept. I also have a large stack of magazines, mostly Newsweek, Time, The Economists, Fortune, Entreprenuer, and last but not the least, FHM! I also read three newspapers a day, BusinessWorld, Philippine Daily Inquirer, and World News (a Chinese newspaper). However, I would admit to having a hard time to read all of it. I also manage to download articles from the internet. At the moment, the collection is about 300Mb. There are mostly history articles and about 5 virtual “books” on history. I had histories of China, Rome, Byzantine, Europe, Egypt, Spain, France, Japan, Bulgaria, and Islam plus royal genealogies. I also downloaded health related articles on cholesterol, food pyramids, exercises, and sleeping disorders (I’m an insomniac). I also have books on certain industry statistics as well as economic statistics for business decision purposes. It may seem funny and overly stupid but I still felt that my library isn’t “complete” yet even though that I have so many books waiting to be open much less read. Well, as I said, I had this urge to learn more and improve myself as well as fascinate my imagination. Base on my current evaluation of myself, I still need to “improve” my understanding of the financial markets, which is why I’m tempted to buy Graham’s book on security analysis, dubbed as the “holy bible” of stock investing. Why, even Warren Buffet studied it. In relation to that, I might pick up a book on Warren Buffet, the world’s greatest stock picker. I’m also on a look out for Isaac Asimov’s classic, the Foundation series. I heard that it is many times intriguing compared to Star Wars. I also wanted to buy a book on classical music since I’m into “understanding” classical music. There is also a business book that I’m hunting for. It is about “influencers”. The idea of the book is that there is a noisy minority in this world that dictates what the majority buys, eats, or thinks and how should businesses recognize and “convince” these “influencers” to patronize them. Sounds pretty interesting but unfortunately, I couldn’t find the book anymore. But that doesn’t worry me much because the books that I really wanted to buy are history books. Any history books and they are available but I couldn’t “afford” them. These books costs at least 2,000 pesos up and I always felt that sum is better invested in business books. Hahhhhhhhh……. If I could have one wish, I would wish that I would have enough money to buy me all the books I want even though I couldn’t read all of them and that I would also built a specially dedicated room, a library to house my collection but for now, my bedroom is my library.


P.S. If you have any books that you want to recommend to me, please email me or if your interested in one of my books, you can ask me about it or if you wanted to know how “good” a book that you’re planning to buy, don’t hesitate email me. I’m more than happy to help out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some of the ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam ( I DON'T ) but if you don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy Thank you for your time.yoga poses that help hamstring injuries

yoga poses that help hamstring injuries

Anonymous said...

Are you a business financial analysis enthusiast? If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to things about business financial analysis with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...corpanalytics.com