Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Day of Reckoning - Simply Unthinkable!

I got my blood test results today (I've been getting one every year for the last 3 years). The result showed that I'm healthy and a tad better than last year with threats to worry about. Specifically, I made a test on B.U.N. and creatine to check on my kidney function and they are within limits, e.g., my kidney is functioning normally. I test for my blood sugar with True Glucose and this year, it was an improvement compared to last year when my sugar level is near the critical limit. This year, the value is somewhere in the middle. Transaminase tests are also made (SGPT and SGOT) to test my liver function and my internal organ function showed that I don't have a problem at all. My cholesterol level also improved this year as my result veered away from the critical limits however, the result also indicate that my cholesterol level is still at a high level. However, compared to last year where my cholesterol level is near the critical limit, this is actually good. Apparently, my exercise regime is paying off. What is disturbing is that my lipoprotein breakdown or my cholesterol make up (which I didn't made a test for last year) showed that I have a dangerously high level of VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) and a high level of LDL though the latter doesn't exceed the critical limit. What these value suggests are that I have a high level of bad cholesterol in my blood and although my overall cholesterol isn't high, it is nevertheless not a good sign. Probably in consonant to that, my triglyceride level also exceeds the limit. I remember having an ultrasound last year on my liver and the doctor told me that I have fatty livers. In layman's term, I have a very good chance of getting a heart attack somewhere in my middle age, whatever that age is. Damn! I did make some changes in my lifestyle a few years back and it seems that I had to do more changes. I bought a treadmill at home so that I could exercise anytime in the day without the hassles of going several kilometers to a gym. I started drinking tea. I started to eat less (though still debatable on what constitute as less), I started eating greens like salads, I try to control my temper and de-stresss by listening to classical music and by writing blogs. " ). Now, I think I had to become a vegetarian, which I dreaded too much because I'm a meat lover. Aside from that, vegetable didn't taste that good. Its not that I hate vegetable but I hate bland vegetable cooking style. I like to eat vegetable meals from the local vegetarian food store. Unfortunately, the nearest store is in Chinatown. Also, I had to regularized my habit of tea drinking. Not that I'm complaining but sometimes temperatures are so hot here in the tropics that I just want to gulp a liter of ice cold COKE or eat restaurant meals with Coke. I also have to exercise more regularly. Currently, I'm regularly exercising three times a week for an hour each time. Lately though, I admit to being lax due to heavy academic and work loads and there is also the good old laziness to justify skipping exercise. Now, I think I had to make exercise an everyday affair. I also had to de-stress more effectively than before. Maybe meditation and yoga? Nah, I'll probably take up some "patience" building hobbies like calligraphy or painting. Maybe I should write blogs daily, if it could help reduce the stress. Hah! Imagine me, a vegetarian, yoga practitioner. Simply unthinkable. I had a joke once when I was young. I said that I had to enjoy as much as possible eating meat and virtually "pigging" it out on the couch or bed afterwards because there will come a time when I could no longer be able to do so. It seems that day of reckoning is here, now! Sigh....... Well, I could just ignore it, live the way as it is and let the whole thing run its course in due time but can I? It is not that I'm afraid of death and that I will do anything to avoid it. Rather, I'm afraid of living a meaningless life and dying an unmournful death. I need more time to do what I want to do and achieve what I set out to do. And if I had to be a vegetarian, yoga practitioner to gain more time and live past middle age, which in the end could help me achieve what I wanted, well, I will do it. Except, I still can't imagine myself being a vegetarian, yoga practitioner. Simply unthinkable!

No comments: