Sunday, April 03, 2005

Saluting a Great Man

I woke up this morning to find out that Pope John Paul II is dead. Though I'm not a believer, I joined everybody else in mourning his passing. There are a few great men in this world who affects the lives of many but only a handful of those I admire and respected. Being a historian that I'm, I can't help but recognize his achievement and contribution to history. However, that is not why I admire him. I admire him not for his faith nor his belief but his convinction that we all should share the blessings of God whatever our beliefs is. I admire him for his compassion for his fellow man. I admire him for his understanding, open - mindedness, and respect for the beliefs of others. Best of all, I admire for his single minded pursuit of his goals and his stubborness discharging his responsibility even until his death.
In reality, we shouldn't mourn for the death of this great man for everybody dies somewhere, somehow, and sometime. Instead, lets applaud for his well - lived life for only very very few people could be describe as such. Lets pay tribute for his life well spent in the most fruitful and meaningful way. Let us salute him and say thank you for being here with us, for all the things you've done for us, and for inspiring us to be a better person.

No comments: