Tuesday, November 11, 2008

PERHAPS I AM LAZY

Lazy (adjective)
1. Unwilling to do work or make an effort. (Wikipedia)
2. Disinclined to activity or exertion : not energetic or vigorous (Merriam – Webster)
3. A disinclination to work or to take trouble (Merriam – Webster)
I’ve been taking stock of my life thus far the past few days and I suddenly came to realization that perhaps I am lazy! I’m not lazy as in lazy, lazy but rather I’m lazy in terms of taking charge of my life. I just go about doing the same thing again and again and again, over and over and over, day in and day out without taking charge of the direction of where I’m going towards the direction I wanted to go. It’s quite a paradox on how one could be working 12 – 18 hours a day from Monday till Saturday and almost always focused on work even when not working to be actually lazy! Perhaps, I’ve grown accustomed and comfortable with what I am doing now to actually risk venturing into an alternative. Maybe so. If that is the case, I may just be risk – averse. But then again, is the implied risk of taking an alternative that insurmountable or nearly impossible? Maybe the risk is not that great and in which case, I am definitely “lazy” (see definition) for not taking the alternative and challenge the risk associated with it. I just merely took the excuse of risk in rejecting the alternative. Or perhaps, I maybe too engrossed with my everyday “rituals” to actually care for a better alternative to the one I have. I’m too busy with fixing what is wrong on Earth and too distracted by it to dream for the star and actually reach for it. In which case, I am still “lazy” for not breaking the routine once in a while and giving an effort to make the alternative real. I just took being busy as an excuse. Or perhaps, I’m just too boring, too close minded, too unimaginative, too myopic to see past what is before me and look for alternatives around me. I’m just not thinking about alternatives. Definitely, I’m just being lazy for not even opening my eyes and see the possibilities of what the alternatives got to offer. In which case, there is no excuse. I’m just being dumb and lazy. Regardless of the reasoning, my little mental exercise the past few days yielded me one conclusion, that I am lazy! Then again, I just wondered. Am I the only one? Is there anyone like me? Perhaps I am not at all “lazy”. Instead, I just to belong to a generation of people or maybe a group of people who are just:
1. Comfortable with what they have and what they’re doing and put up an excuse of risk to reject an alternative even if the associated risk is that not great.
2. Too busy with their daily “routine” to actually pursue an alternative however better it might be and claim being busy as an excuse for not considering an alternative.
3. Plain boring, unimaginative, close – minded and myopic to even figure out a better alternative to what is existing.
Now, that is a tough call. Perhaps, I am ……………..

No comments: