Thursday, November 30, 2006

October 7: Mid – Autumn Moon in a Distant Land

This article is a continuation of the series of articles relating to my US trip.

October 7 of this year coincides with the Mid – Autumn Moon Festival in the Chinese Lunar calendar. Some of Chinese elders believed that Mid – Autumn moon is the most perfect full moon amongst the 12 full moons in a year. I for one believed in it. At the time of the Mid – Autumn moon, I happened to be in LA. I made it a habit of mine as an observance of tradition to take some time out and “look” at the moon. I remember the last lines in one of Li Po’s famous poem and translating it would state that, “Though you are not in my side, my dear friend, I still raised my glass and offer a toast to the moon, wishing that you are here beside me and that you are in good health and I hoped that across the distant, you are doing the same.” The Mid – Autumn moon is to me a medium of connection. It is a medium to connect with the past (traditions), to the present (with the love ones not with you then) and with the future (with that Someone). And it is in this state of mind that I left my room that evening and came to the promenade, pulled out a chair and watched at the moon all by myself (I just came back from dinner after a visit to Universal Studio that morning and a brief visit to the Pueblo). Strange but the moon seemed different in LA than in Manila. It was larger, whitish in color and looked rather dull. The Mid – Autumn moon in Manila by contrast looked just right (size), glowing perfectly in a yellowish shade and generally bright. Even so, I stayed for a good hour or so revealing at the sight trying to establish a connection somewhat. I was hoping somebody was looking at the Mid – Autumn at the same time as I’m from the other side but just then a poignant realization came to me. The Moon is 15 hours late! (LA is 15 time zones away from Manila)

No comments: