Tuesday, September 05, 2006

And I Cried (A Teacher on Her First Term)

By Irrah Mari Nightlark

I got this email from a friend of mine and a fellow MBA. She is currently teaching at undergrad school. She didn’t write this story but this might as well reflect her experience as a first time teacher.

I preferred to be known as a terror teacher than one whom my students would love now and forget later. As a student, I've had quite a few teachers myself. Those who gave me sleepless nights and scared me out of my sweaters AND TAUGHT ME THE BEST LESSONS IN LIFE were actually the ones who inspired me to teach.

And so I dreamed... to become a teacher. Early in my adolescent stage, I vowed to take up masteral studies to make sure I'd be prepared for this thankless task. As I joined the corporate world, I had trainees under me (both students and co-employees). I was in heaven each time one would return to share the good news of getting a job, a promotion or a recognition. After a decade of corporate teaching, I knew it was time for the real thing.

I believed... I finished my masters after seven (7) itchy years. And I made it through. Now, the next hurdle was how to get into the academe. It was one elusive dream. It was like killing a chicken, only you never did it ever in the past. Was I to pluck all its feathers, throw it in a caudlron with boiling water, or was I to bang it against the wall and pray that it would land a fried chicken on my plate?

My first day was horrifying. I left my things in the classroom and went back to the faculty room to get chalk or a whiteboard marker. Upon returning to the room, I saw two students reading through my book... including insertions! It was enough to me that they opened the book to see who owned it... but to leaf through notes I inserted? It was a violation of my privacy. And I'd hate it when one didn't respect mine.

I had the most absurd experiences.

Student: Miss, do you have handouts?

Me: It depends. Why? (just to get the cat out of the bag... and jump out it did)

Student: So, Miss, if you don't have hand outs, does that mean I have to take down notes?

Me: Will I dignify your question? (was so tempted to say stupidity)

Student: (rushing in late) Miss, so where are we now?

Me: We've been in the classroom for the past thirty minutes discussing? (sarcastic)

Student: Oh sorry, Miss. I just wanted to know.

Me: Maybe if you came in thirty minutes early, you wouldn't be asking me that question?

Student: Why, Miss?

I give pop quizzes within the first fifteen minutes of my class. Since it starts art 745. The quiz would be from 745 to 800. Grace period ends at 8, was hoping this would motivate them to be punctual. Would you believe this? I would give a pop quiz at the end of my lecture (10 items usually), then I would give the same quiz as a pop quiz for the following meeting --- and my recycled quizzes would even get lower marks?
As I saw their grades declining, I made them manage the class. We made it our KRA or our deliverables. You commit to it, you give me better grades. And they vowed they would... they didn't, majority of the class had lower marks in their pre-finals than in their mid-terms.

I told them they had to submit at least one written project for their pre-finals. But those who would ask for additional work to raise their grades are encouraged to do all four projects. There were two who didn't even make one. And they were the two lowest performers of the group.

My final exam? Look at how I wanted them to pass. I made a grid on which questions during the midterms did most of them get correctly. From this, I made 20 multiple choice questions for Test 1. Then, I gave a "diagnostic exam" just before the start of the second half of the term. I took the very same exam questions for matching type and just jumbled the order. This became Test 2. I gave "three easiest questions" for essay. This became Test 3. --- only one perfected Test 2. But not one of them got to perfect the exam.

One of them, not knowing the answer to essay 2 (which was supposed to be the easiest question) wrote this answer:

"Our Father, in heaven, holy be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your Will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sinned against us. Do not lead us to the test, but deliver us from evil. Amen."

As I wrote the grades in their class cards, I wrote with teary eyes knowing 5 of twelve failed. And when I was to transfer grades into the Final Grading Sheet (FGS), I stopped to cry for the first student who got a failing grade in my alphabetical listing of students. As I continued, I took a deep breath and continued entering the grades. This, I told myself, was to make sure I would not be swept by their pleading later.

Of the five who failed, only three came to pick up their cards personally. Of course I expected that they'd contest their grades. And while I had the documents to support my action, I still dreaded having to meet their pleading eyes.

I showed one of them how I tried to pull her grades up by giving bonuses. After raising her grades by almost 11 points for pre-finals, her midterms just didn't contribute enough to give her an over all passing grade. She pleaded three or four times stating I was the only one who failed her, unknown to her that as another teacher consoled me as I was distressed over failing her, he revealed to me that the same student failed in his class too.
And our reasons and observations were the same.

The other one was in total disbelief. But he later gave up the fight.

The other one, well, he was one of those boys who browsed through my books on the first day. While he was forgiven for his action, he didn't give enough output to raise his grades. A few hours after he got his card, I received a text from him telling me he would do anything just to get a 1 (equivalent to 70). In my mind, all I could say was... I gave you four projects to do it... you only did one haphazardly.

One of those who didn't come, the one with the lowest grade sent me a message... "Miss I just want to know my standing so that I could get an adjustment form if I failed in your class." And this student of mine, never even submitted a single assignment, did not pass any of her quizzes, was always late and would leave the room at exactly 830 pm sharp (to go to the washroom, to take a call, to pay, to do an adjustment, whatever!) each and every meeting PUNCTUALLY.

I know now why some teachers are just plain aloof to the point of being crabby. I know now why... why some are "ruthless"... why some are eaten alive.

....I survived.

Next term please.

No comments: