Saturday, July 22, 2006

LIFE WAITS FOR NO ONE

This is the message that greets me every morning when I turned on my cell phone. I wrote this quote of mine a few years ago ostensibly as a reminder to myself. I want to remind myself that life doesn’t slows down or waits for me in spite of every excuse however valid or silly. I could waste my life in a merry spiral of indulgences and play and turn up one day to find out that my time is nearly up. By then, I would have most likely regretted to have done nothing worthwhile and wasted a lifetime of opportunities. Then, I would most likely say to myself, I could have invested in a more useful enterprise given a second chance. There is however, no second chance. This is not a computer game wherein one has 3 lives to spare and could reset every time one fails. We only had one shot at this and what’s gone is gone, no use crying over spilled milk. However, in the same breathe, this simple quote of mine also serves to remind me that there is more to life than the single – minded pursuit of the definition of one’s short existence. Life is not all about purpose or mission. Life is about enjoying the time given to us, of enjoying one’s stay in this transient time and space. Life is like an exotic cruise down a mystical river. It is the sight along the way that makes the trip worth taking and not what’s at the end. Be it so, at times, I find my quote funny. For how could a simple one liner have two contradictory interpretations? Perhaps, it is because life is not a race or a leisurely walk to the finish line. It is in fact both. There are times when we had to make haste to reach our goal before the sun sets for time is against us but then again, there are times when we had to make a detour from our journey especially when we chance upon an open field with its luscious green grass, the warm sunshine, the cool breeze, the beautiful birds’ chirpings, and the inviting shades under the tree. It is “forgivable” to postpone the chase for another day or two perhaps and take a rest and cherish the moment.

3 comments:

Jaz said...

As some say, one has to balance work and play to enjoy the day.

But is it really possible to balance all our activities and our differing roles (at home, at work, at play)? Nay, I don't think so. Coz if we say 'balance' we would then have to apportion equal times for all those activities, right? I mean, 1/3 for work, 1/3 for home, 1/3 for play....which is really not quite rational, or practical even.

Perhaps, it is best to harmonize those differing roles and activities that we have, to the time that's been given to us. True, time won't wait, so we then should make the best out of it...and for me, a harmonious tie-in of all aspects of my life should be able to make me say one day that i've lived my life to the fullest. Of course, that's my own perspective :)

Atlas said...

Harmonizing different roles. You're right there when you are talking about juggling between being a son or a daughther, being a manager, being an employee, or even being a student but what about yourself? How you harmonize yourself against all these roles? They're responsibilities if you look at it.

Jaz said...

Me? Oh I have a weird way of ‘harmonizing’ my roles & responsibilities. No, I don’t keep an organizer with me. But I do observe a certain routine (if I may call it that).

In the mornings before I leave for work, I make sure to have a round of small talk with my mom. In the office, I concentrate on my work and work alone (except during my breaks where I can sneak in some time for my internet hobbies). When it’s time for school, I leave all my corporate responsibilities behind to become one avid gradschool student. And when I get back home, I discard the career woman in me to enjoy my mom’s company, either by helping her do the household chores, watch TV news & programs, or simply chatting about our day that was. Of course, I do my school requirements (if any) as soon as she falls asleep. My Saturdays, on the other hand, are earmarked for school activities (if I don’t get to finish them during the weekday nights) and for my friends. And Sundays, hmm….an open schedule for a round of sports, shopping, basically any form of activity that I enjoy (including lazing in bed with a book or simply getting a good deal of snooze).

Of course, there are times that activities & responsibilities overlap. If that happens, then I choose on the basis of pros & cons. I weigh things out, not just on the basis of my priorities. But if I have to set aside a portion of my time for one responsibility in lieu of another, then, I try as much as possible to make up for that activity that was exchanged, in some other way, some other time.

Ngerks, I think am hogging your comment box now...so lemme cut myself short...we all don't have the same set of responsibilities or complexities, so i guess it's best to find out what'll work for you.